Thursday, April 21, 2011

CRTs, what makes or breaks a game...






I came up with a mathematically correct Combat Results Table based on some pretty odd percentage increments . The difference between the probabilities are wider than you might think in some areas and wildly bunched up in others. I set it to a d20 dice outcome to emphasize the spread between probabilities from 17% up to 26% (in some cases).
I gave a 10% 'disabled' result margin as disabled is the same as a 'grazing hit' in most games. Giving more or less disabling results would give the table more or less mercy from the dice deities, I suppose. You will notice that the 1:1, 2:1 and 3:1 are spread out much more than you would think. The percentage spread between these probabilities surprised me as well.

I even threw in a d10 CRT for those who own a game decagon (10 sided numbered game dice).
Yes, I know there are math types out there that would either agree with my findings or say "it's just a game" but really is the spread of odds between a 1:2 to 1:1 the same as a spread between a 3:1 and 4:1?
Now imagine what the d6 CRT would look like if it were given a mathematical 'car wash' as these d20 and d10 CRTs were...

No comments: