Tuesday, April 19, 2011

My Miniature Mobile Infantry unpainted army (both sides)

I thought I would show off my Mobile Infantry we use at our war games. Under each and every miniature there is a neodymium rare earth magnet which would firmly secure it to any run of the mill metal washer. The washers are used as a base for a Platoon (1/1, 2/1 or 3/1 unit) of mobile infantry. Maybe you could put pieces of 1/8" x 1/4" x 1/32" metal in the bases you would buy at Warehouse 29 ... that would look even cooler!
Well, this is what 186 metal OGRE infantry miniatures looks like with 1/8" x 1/4" x 1/32" neodymium rare earth magnet bases super glued to them on a large, thin piece of plate steel. K&J Magnetics was the company I went with for my other miniatures as well so I could use my filing cabinet for my battles (as seen in a previous post).





Here they are in their plastic bags, yep all 186 of them (not counting the washers I use as bases).











A handful of power. Here are 94 miniatures from the Combine Mobile Infantry ... a potential strength of 27 Combine mobile powered infantry (3/1) platoons or 16 regular platoons and 11 heavy weapons platoons.
Here they are on their bases. The black bases are Combine and the unpainted (steel or 'white' if you will) are the Paneuropeans. Just by the base you could even put an E for engineer or M for marines. I have enough of these metal infantry miniatures that I could paint a few platoons of each and still have many left over for grunt work!
Now if only I could find a place to purchase some militia in 1/285 scale.




Here they are from the side view.








A little collage I made of the 1/8" x 1/4" x 1/32" neodymium rare earth magnet bases super glued from K&J Magnetics.

Many people I have talked with use these magnets for Warhammer 40k tabletop for their vehicles. I intend to mold more OGRES, including the Doppelsoldner (not available anymore from Warehouse 29) from resin and install some smaller round neodymium rare earths so the secondaries and missile racks are removable as they are destroyed in battle. The idea has crossed my mind for the tracks being magnetically removable as well (remove one track assembly for each movement lost) because all of the OGRE (except the Mark 1 and 2) have four track assemblies. This would also make it so I would not have to glue them on and thus have the constant problem of breakage ... I hate that!


A Paneuropean heavy weapon squad that has not yet fired it's one shot missile of doom...

I am thinking of painting the in Combine in black with white with bright red highlights and the Paneuopeans keep base metal with black and bright red highlight highlights.
Color Scheme as such:
Combine:
Black suit, black base, white weapon, white visor, bright red and white backpack.
Paneuopeans:
Bare metal suit, bare metal base, black weapon, bright red visor, bright red dot on chest, bright red and black backpack.
Tell me what you think.

Thanks for reading and looking at my collection. These 54 platoons should be painted before summer (time willing). Does anyone have any suggestions for primer, paint brand or any other tips? I am kind of new at painting on metal.

No comments: