Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Fallout 3

A review of Fallout 3. I know, not many reviews come from my blog and I really don't do very many reviews, especially when it comes to the nature of this blog. 
What I liked about this game:
The graphics and story line are interesting. The differing weapons effective against differing types of enemies. The trait and abilities progression enabled someone to choose their path and it actually matters. You choose one path and some of the game content is a mystery to you until you start a NEW game and it is revealed.
What I dis-liked about this game:
Having to connect to big brother to actually play saved games (M$ Live). I firmly believe that any game bought by a consumer should have the rights to play the game as they wished. The gaming industry is alarmingly becoming more invasive into our personal lives. Who knows what they transmit to M$ headquarters when LIVE goes online. Yes, I know, "don't play if you don't like our product" excuse. That is what that is: an excuse. What M$ is trying to do is to collect market data instead of trial and error that produces wonderful games and some stinkers. What they try to do is tailor a game without catering to us as consumers.
Secondly, the crashes. I am playing the game and all of sudden everything freezes and I have to RESTART my computer. Any game that does this should be shelved until fixed. With this LIVE big brother thing they should at least give us fixes for that sort of thing. But as M$ has proven in the past, their fixes are as effective as putting wings on a Pinto to make it go faster. It adds bulk and slows it down.
Too easy. The A.I. was stupid and unimaginative. I could put down traps that any dog would evade and they would walk RIGHT INTO a stack of frag mines.
I give this game a solid 6/10. Points lost due to freedom being taken from the player who do not wish to play while online and to the multitude of crashes experienced.
Microsoft, you are too big now to give a crap about people who buy your monopolistic operating systems that work some of the time and give us partial functionality. Why should your games be any different?

2 comments:

DangerDiplomat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
HarmlessHamster said...

Please - what did you say? If I reviewed this game incorrectly - please correct me!